Friday 12 March 2010

Movement caught in a still



As interesting as it is using other methods to capture movement in my photography I feel that when it is caught in a still it adds real character to to the photograph. When we see an image fixed on a position i a photograph it is as if we are there at that exact event and that very moment has been caught in time. I particuarlly like the photo on the left of my freind jumping from a rock in Torquay. This photograph was what really inspired me to start looking at more movement that was caught in a still image. It is obvious that all photographs are still images but the sort of photographs I am experimenting with are particually still, for example, in this first photograph the position on of the characters body pasticuarlly emphasises a fixed moment (his legs apart and arms raised in the air). The boy on the rock and the character in the water also emphasise the idea of a fixed moment in time, for me both these characters enable me to imagine a fixed moment in time as they gaze at the jumping character.The blue sky and dark green water work really well in this photograph as they highlight and dipict the out line of the subject. The cliff face in the foreground of the photo adds detail, texture and bringas the image to life that little bit more.




I find trying to capture these sorts of image so interesting as they are so hard to catch! Its like sports photogrpahy, as the subject is usually moving around or in a paricualar direction at high speed it becomes a challange to capture the desired image, but when you do capture them they seem to work reall well. This photograph is a favourite of mine! I think the fact it was taken on a particuarlly sunny day helps but the way the subjects (my freind) is positioned adds a lot of character and interest to the photograph: he i face down arms out with his legs tuked in. The fact that this is such an unusual position is what makes the picture so appealing. When taking these photos of people jumping from rocks into the sea I found that I was usually taking them either from below them or directly from a side angle, what makes this photo so different is the way it is taken from above the subject and at a slight angle. By taking it from this view it has enables me to capture the jump from a different perspective and still keep it appealing and interesting. All the colours in this photograph seem to complement each other, the green sea and the blue sky along with the sun and clouds all bring a warmth to the photo. The small bit of rock in the bottom left adds detail and cotrast as it is a whole new colour and texture in comparison to anything else in the photo.




its is not only the movement caught in this photograph that makes it appealing but the style and camera angle appeal to me. I was at my local park just kicking a ball around and just happened to have my camera on me , I was lying down and took a picture of my brother a he was diving. By lying down and taking the photo I feel that I have produced a interesting photograph; initially at the bottom of the photo a close up of the grass can be seen which adds detail and colour to the fore ground of the photograph, this then leads up to the centre of the photo where the subject can be seen diving across the photograph, in the backround houses and as suburban scene can be seen, to the lead up to the sky which has a tremendous amount of detail due to the clouds and the shadows created by the sun. ultimely creating a particuarlly appealling photogrpah. The sense of movement caught in the photo is rather intereging, the way the dive is caught on camera ;ppls very much as if he is just about to spring from hisleft foot. He throws his weight forward and streches his arms out and begins to kick out huis legs, creating an abstract sense of movement when caught on camera.




After unitentionally capturing the photo before I decided to experiment with the idea of taking photos involving movement from a low angle. In this photo I got my brother to run and jump in the air, the position that he is in when the picture is captured is interesting. he has his arms out straight, to me it looks as if he is holding on to something such as a kite being dragged through the aire. The blue and white sky from the clouds in the background works well as irt helps highlight and depict his outline. The whole photo works in a similar way to the previous one expect this one is at a slightly obscure angle. As you can see the ground does not run parrallel to the bootom of the photo. i think the abstract angle works helps higlight the sense of meovement with in the photo.








Within this photo my brother performed a side flip, when the image was caught he was springing from his hand. This posture caught in the image captures the perfect sense of movement that I was aiming for. It is almost as if he is in a hand stand holding himself in the air. When looking at the photograph the it is easy to imagine the route that he has taken i.e you can imagine him begining the flip right up untill the point captured with in the image. The anlge used with in this photo works well: the close up of the grass and the bootom of the photograph adds deatil and colour to the photo whereas the sjy line adds a bold vibrant feel to the photograph.








At 7 o'clock one morning i found my self on dartmoor watching the sar of the ten tors event 2010. As the teams walked of away from the sarting point they all collectively joind a path and snaked of up a hill. The reason I have used this photograph with in my coursework is because of the way that the team walking up the hill represent movement. A lot of the movement photography that I have looked at has been movment that is very quick and instant, for instance I photographed some one jumping from a cliff. The aspect of movement that #I have caught with in this photograph is slow and prgressional. Although I prefer photographing fast movement I thought it would be good to look at a different side of it, so i could experiment with this with in my coursework.







This photo was taken on the same day at the start of the ten tors event. Again it represents a slow progressional movement as the tams move up the hill. instead of them moving in a line they all move seperately up the hill which works well with in this image as it shows a large mass of movement. Both the last two photos have quite an old effect to them, this is due to the colour and tone created by the photo. As it was early in the morning the mist was down over the moor creatin an erie mood which I feel works well with in these photo's.



Through out my coursework I have always intended to capture a sense of movement with in a running shot, as i am a keen runner it has always been of interest with me. I particuarlly like this photo as it really does capture a sense of movement. a sense of movement is caught with in each runner as they lift there feat and move though the street. I feel that this photograph works well, the focus is on the runner at the front of the photograph with the guy in the yellow shoes then the rest of the runners follow in a large group of moving subject. Not only does this photograph work well at capturing a sense of movement but as a generally interesting photograph it is appealing to look at. The array of colours with in the photo such as the reds and yellows creates a vibrant intersting photograph.















































































No comments:

Post a Comment