Tuesday 10 November 2009

Movement caught in stages


One particular technique that i have used to capture movement within my photos is presenting images in stages (as shown). For this particular technique I used a fast shutter speed and set my camera to multishot, giving me a set of photos that where taken in a very short space of time. This enabled me to capture the whole sequence of both the jumps in to the water. After taking the photos I used photoshop to layer each photo on top of one another eventually merging all the images into one. Although each individual image in the photos is static there is still a sense of movement within the photograph. I feel that where these photos where situated really compliments the idea of movement with in the image, the grey rock adds texture and contrast to the photo, whilst the sea and the sky show bold, solid colour. The solid colour in both the sea and sky depict and highlight the figures in the photo therefore emphasizing the use of movement.


In the first photo the majority of the figures in the photos are solid which creates a clear cut precise photo. In this photo the figures are slightly faded. I felt that experimenting with the idea of fading some of the figures whilst layering them would emphasize the movement with in the image. I reduced the opacity in some of the images to almost create the same effect that blur has in an image. The central figure with in the image has been left solid, for me this brings the photo to life. If all the figures had been left faded the photo would have the feel of the past i.e. this is an event that has already occurred. The central image creates the sense of this is happening now and helps the viewer have an insight into what it was like when this picture was taken. 



No comments:

Post a Comment