Wednesday 12 May 2010

Water movement

In this set of photographs the method used is very similar to the time lapse photographs that I have produced of light trails. By using a long exposure time for the majority of these photos it prodes a very interesting profound image. When I initially strated taking these photos down at a river thart runs past the outskirts of my town (the river dart) I found that it bacame highly adictive trying to get the right photo, which was particuarlly difficult due to the amount of light that was being reflected from the sun on to the water.

It took me some time to figure out and arrange the settings on my camera to produce a picture that did not have too much light exposure. This first picture shown shows the trouble I had with the light, Even though I had a very short exposure time of less than a second there was still far to much light bouncing of the water towards the camera. Even so there are still points with in the photo that I am satisfied with, for example the area to the middle left of the photo has not shown up as white as the other areas, the water looks smooth with due to the small length of exposure and the fact it is darker than the other areas of the photo. The reason for there being so much light exposed to the camera is due to the white rapids ( that can not be seen) because the rapids are white and foamy the light from the sun reflects of this far more than the rest of the picture. in order to avoid so much light being exposed I had to put adjust the appature on the camera. Adjusting the apature on the camera is controlling how much light passes through the lense.





After initially learning that light reflects easily of the white rapids in water and that the appature needed adjusting on my camera I began to produce some reasonable photographs. In the next photo shown I chose a place on the river that did not have as many white rapids and also a place that had a bit more detail such as rocks and sticks. By having things like rocks and sticks with in the shot it gives the camera something to focus on, this takes the attention of the white rapid part of the photo and therefore not as much light is exposed. I feel that in this photo I have captured just the right amount of light, the water flows smoothly across the picture, which is the effect that I desired as it captures a sense of movement perfectly.
This next picture that I have taken is situated within the same part of the river, I prefer the shot because firstly I feel that it works better as it has been taken in portrait. Secondly I have edited theis picture in photoshop. using photoshop is an aspect of photography that I enjoy. I played around with what is known as 'curves' on photoshop, which highlights or tones down certain areas of the picture. I also lowered the exposure with in the photograph. By doing these things I have bought forward the detail and colour on the rocks and other deatil in the photo. It has also highlighted the way the water moves over the the river bed, which is ulitamtely what I am aiming to do as I am studying movement. By ultering the curves in the photo i have emphasised the deep blue with in the photo adding detail to the water and therefore emphasising the movement of the water acros the photograph.




I feel that this photgraph works really well as it has such a soft smooth tone to it. The lighting with in the photograph projects subtle colours with in the photograph. The long exposure time that i have used produces a mist of water across the picture. I really feel that the green moss on the rocks adds a lot of texture and detail to the picture. The reason using a lng exposure time with when taking photogrpahs produces whis sort of effect is beacuase when the shutter opens it begins to take in light and when it closes it stops taking in light. So when taking this picture the shutter opens and takes in the light (which is what produces the photo) as the shuttter is open the water is still moving across the lens, the shutter then closes and stops taking in light. The finished picture has taken in captured the movement of the water over a short period of time which is what creates the effect shown.




A lot of thw pictures that I took at the river contain rapids which produce a mosty effect when captured with a long exposure. With in this next photo I have not captured rapids but just a smooth flow of water. the detail of the water shown in this photo seems to be a lot clearer, this is due to where I took the photo and the fact there is not as much light with in this area. I took the photounder a bridge, this enabled a lot of shade so i could produce a photograph that does not take in as muh light as the area is not being as exposed to the sun. The log in the centre of the photo adds detail to the photo and enables focus for the camera. The way the water runs over the log it moves smoothly of the other side, this is due to the long exposure. In comparision the the other photogrpahs I have taken of water this on eis different as it showns detail around the water, under the water ( rocks can be seen) and there is still a smooth sense of movement created by the water.







This photo is situated in the same place under the bridge as the last one. It was photogrpahed on a different day where there was much more sunshine. I wanted to create a larger sense of movement by using a longer exposure time, I found this was diificult as there was to much exposure due to the sun light. To try and minimize the amount of light being taken in by the camera I managed to drag a log under the bridge 9 that can be seen sticking up) this added a bit more focus to the photograph taking the attention o the light being exposed due o the white rapids. The drift wood log that i placed in the water works really well with the smooth and elogant flow of water that is created. I still struglled to tone down the light produced in the photo, so I had to use photoshop to minimise the bright white that could be seen.







I have published this photogrpah to show my development in the technique of photographing water using long exposure time. When i initially started using long exposures to photograph the water I struggled to catch deatil with in the photo, all I could seem to capture was a white mass of light and soem water. This photo shows that i have nmangaed to figure out an exposure times and use the right setting to capture the movement of water and the detail of the log and rocks and matter on the river bed.



A lot of the photographs that I have produced have been relatively close up, this particular photograph that have taken is a step back fromt hat others that I have taken
it shows a larger view of the river which contains the suroundings around the river. This makes the picture more appealing to look at for the viewer as ther are aspects involved in the photo that arent just the river.








I have taken these next 2 photo just to show the difference between what a normal photograph of the water would have loooked like in comparison to the others I have produced using a long exposure time. The picture taken with a short exposure time do still capture a sense of movement but in a differnent way to the photos taken using a long exposure time. The water is captured in an instant freeze frame, every water droplet is stopped in its path and captuerd within one photo. these are two very different effects created by my photogrpahy.












In some ways I prefer these photos were that are caught instantly. The image created is clearer and crisper and i can really imagine the feel of the water. But at the same time I really like the photos taken using a long exposure time as they create a smooth soft tone to the picture whilst capturing a sense of movement.















These two photographs were taken in the yorkshire dales. Me and my family took a walk up a valley in which a number of water falls were situated. This particular waterfall was the largest. I felt that photographing this waterfall was a good way of capturing a sense of movement. As the water piles over the top of this cliff it turns into a mist and plumets down to the river, all of this is caught within one image. I like this image a s it does not only show a small amount of movement but in this photo a large amount of movement is occuring.












This image is taken from the same waterfall, but from behind the waterfall. I had to climb round a ledge and sit under the water falling down. The image caught shows the water falling in a still. I feel that this is not as effective as the other image that I produced as you can not see the mass of water as water aswell. The water the water sits in a still in the air works well as it captures the sense of movement that I aim for. Photographing water to capture movement has enabled me to develop new techniques with in photography. I have gained various abilities with in photography that have given me an oppurtinity to produce movement with in photography. I plan to use these skills and techniques with in the other areas and aspects of movement that i plan to look at.





























No comments:

Post a Comment